Friday, April 9, 2010

David Archuleta - Imagine what's yet to come

WOW!!!!! That's all I can say. WOW. I want to write about this performance but my mind actually goes blank each time I watch the recording of this performance and I can't think of what I want to say. I know that this is Friday afternoon and David sang Imagine on Wednesday night but my mind just can't totally comprehend the whole thing.

I was so stoked for David to be able to perform on Idol again. He had so much to gain from this. No, he wouldn't be singing his new music but he would be singing one of the greatest songs ever written, the one that had brought him great accolades when he performed it during season 7. Of course, David nailed this performance. Even many of the critics from the past have had nice things to say about David this time around. I personally can't understand how some of these music critics could ever say anything bad about David but, then again, people actually like some of the other guest artists that have appeared on Idol this year that I can't stand to look, much less listen to.

Wednesday night I gathered the whole family in front of the plasma when it was time for David. My daughter and I were already positioned for the entire show so the husband and son were summoned as David was announced. I could barely breath when the music started. David's playing the piano?! Wow. When did he have time to practice for this?

David's hair was the next thing to register. I immediately thought of the "tent pic" with the full, longer hair. Different, but not bad. Kind of reminds me of how my son was wearing his hair before football season this past year. Easy to take care of. I was never fond of the faux-hawk on David.

David started to sing. The Voice is "on point". Did he just say "hell", the one part of the song that no one had ever heard before? OH MY!!! Take that all of you skeptics. The Archuleta is no longer a boy. The man on that stage is taking no prisoners. OOPS. I almost forgot to breath.

Did David look a little nervous at first or was it just that I knew that he would be? Maybe I was the nervous one. My husband and son had been harassing me for two days about this performance and I didn't want anything to go wrong. They are both major "Rock" fans and my husband has been especially hard to win over. At first they were both making silly comments about David like they always do. All of a sudden I noticed that they weren't saying anything, just staring at the tv. OK. My daughter and I looked at each other and just smiled. We didn't need words to know what the other was thinking. David got to them finally.

David's performance was ....... I don't even know a word for what I felt about this experience. Awesome. Wonderful. Powerful. Spiritual. Has a word actually been invented to convey this emotion? I know....DAVID. David's performance was ... DAVID. That explains it all.

Shortly after Idol was over I posted these two tweets on my account: David Archuleta can mesmerize a crowd without pyro and auto tune. All he needs is his Voice. and And the award for Best Idol Performance of the Season goes to David Archuleta!!! Thanks for showing them how it should be done.

How it should be done is exactly right. Although David would never consider himself better than any of these contestants, he is and always has been miles beyond the top contenders on this show. He is miles beyond most of the singers in music today. The Voice transcends all genres and limits and takes you to a place where the world doesn't matter anymore. At least that's what happens to me. That's what keeps happening to me when listening to this performance. I want to sit and soak up every detail of what is being shown on the screen but I keep drifting off and loosing my focus. I hear but I don't see. I guess I will need to mute the sound and just "watch" the video if I want to see some of the things I have read about on different blogs and fan sites.

Well, I might add to this later but for now here is the performance to bring back ArchuDomination. (I know that's not a word, yet, but I like it.) As you watch this think of all of the possibilities of the passionately delivered songs penned by David himself that are yet to come. It boggles the mind.


video credit to thop1984


No comments: