Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Christmas album acrostic poem

Having majored in English in college, I have always enjoyed poetry, although I have never felt that I was capable of writing anything of my own that was worth reading. My thoughts are not as deep and complex as most poets. I am more of a "black and white" thoughts person. Say what you really mean in the actual words. The one type of poetry that I have enjoyed writing is acrostic poetry. This is where the first letter, syllable or word of each line spells out a word or a message. There are many ways to use this concept but I found that it is very effective when it is used to describe a person or place.

When I was substitute teaching in elementary school grades a few years ago, I found that the students really liked to write these types of poems to describe themselves, their friends, or a character in a story. The writer can make these as complicated or as simple as they like as long as they are consistent in the length of the lines.

I decided to make one of these using David's Christmas album as the topic word. I then choice words which had appeared in fan reviews of David's Christmas tour concerts. These words were used to describe David, his performance, or the feelings that the reviewer had during the performance. It allowed me to feel as though I had been able to attend these concerts even though I had not. I think it came out reasonably good even though many of the letters repeated.


Here is the acrostic poem that I wrote in December 2009

Christmas Acrostic

D- deep
A- amazing
V- velvet
I- indescribably beautiful
D- David

A- accomplished
R- reverent
C- confident
H- heart-felt
U- unbearably bedazzling
L- lovely
E- enchanting
T- transcendent
A- archuheavenly

C- captivating
H- humble
R- rousing
I- intimate
S- spine-tingling
T- trance-like
M- mesmerizing
A- awesome
S- superb


F- fantastic
R- rich
O- OMG!!!
M- masterful

T- talented
H- heavenly
E- energetic

H- honest
E- exquisite
A- angelic
R- real
T- THUD

No comments: