Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Life Does A 180, Thankfully.

Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer.  Romans 12:12

Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances. 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

These are my new favorite verses.  I have always believed them to be true but the last few days have made me really understand them much better.  You see, I really wanted to do something that is totally not practical or even possible.

I wanted to attend the Mormon Tabernacle Choir Christmas concert featuring David Archuleta in Utah next month.  I have always loved the choir and, of course, I love David, so it was a no-brainer.  I immediately asked my husband about this once in a lifetime concert. He thought I had gone crazy. You see, we are not really financially sound right now.  I haven't had a permanent full time job in a few years and his job is kind of shaky right now too.  We talked about it a lot but he finally told me to try for a ticket and we would figure out the rest.  I signed up for the ticket drawing and of course I did not get chosen for tickets. Ok, I'm not supposed to go.

Then I found out that some people on a fan site I frequent had extra tickets, and I could get one.  Yes!!!!  I could go after all.  This was Friday evening when I got this info.  All I had to do was find affordable plane tickets and someplace to stay.  I had been so up and down about this event over the past two weeks. Now that I had a ticket, I could make plans.

I really want to meet up with some other fans from Texas.  Some have Thursday tickets coming and the others, the group I was included with, have Saturday tickets.  Most are going on Thursday to have time to check out Utah.  Plane tickets are cheaper on Thursday; hotels are not cheaper on Thursday.  I had no one to share a room with; travel on Friday needed.  The more I looked at prices the more disheartened I became.

Now, while all of this is going on in my head, I also caught a really nasty cold.  My head was about to explode but I wasn't sure which thing would be the cause.  I spent all  day Saturday looking at hotel and plane possibilities and then all day Sunday looking at what I could do to raise that much money in a couple of weeks so that I could make this trip happen. And as each minute went by, I became more confused, more depressed, and sicker.  I actually couldn't breath most of the night Sunday but I don't know if the cold was the reason.

I had spent a lot of time praying that I could find a way to go to this concert. Maybe I could sell some stuff that my mom had left me that I never use.  I forgot to pray about if I was supposed to go to the concert at all.  As I sat on the couch Sunday night, so lost in my brain that I really thought I was going to lose it, I asked God to please just give me a sign of what to do. I finally fell asleep.

When I woke up Monday morning, I was able to breath for the first time in two days.  And the first thought that came to my mind was "I am being totally selfish.  I can't go to Utah to this concert no matter how much I think I want to." God had made me realize that trying to spend $500 that we don't have, especially a couple of weeks before Christmas, was not what I should do.  I had finally asked him directly about the concert and He told me.  I was at peace about it.  I was happy that it wouldn't be on my mind anymore. God had answered my prayer with what He knew was right for me not what I wanted to be right for me.

But we all know that God is also very loving and wants us to be happy.  I truly believe this because within the hour of my decision not to go to Utah, I logged onto a fan site that had just posted that David was going to be performing in Dallas on Dec. 3.   My heart about stopped right then and there.  Not only was Dallas much more feasible to get to but I could actually take Amanda with me because the concert is on a Friday and she doesn't have classes on Friday.  And Amanda is the only one in my family that even has a clue why I feel about David the way I do.  She fell in love with David the person, not the teenager that everyone else sees, on Idol just like I did.

So, we now have tickets to see David in Dallas on Dec. 3.  They are not the most expensive tickets or the cheapest. they are middle of the road, just like me.  Not one extreme or the other. And David, well, he is always extreme: extremely talented, extremely humble, extremely David.

 I can't wait.

No comments: