Wednesday, February 23, 2011

David Archuleta Makes Up His Mind

David Archuleta is definitely becoming his own man.  In Works For Me, co-penned by Mr Archuleta and included as a bonus track to David's self-titled album released in Nov. 2008, David tells us,  No I won't make up my mind. I'm too good at wastin' time.  Well, that might have been the case back in 2008 and maybe even back in 2009 but now that 2011 is here, David is singing a new tune.

After all of the hoopla and frenzy in the fan world at the end of last week concerning David dismissing his management firm and Jive releasing David from their label, David has finally communicated with his fans. Yesterday, David took to the internet and posted a new vlog explaining what has been happening in his life. Following pure Archuleta style, David started out the communique by telling us that he had spent the last several days hosting his youngest sister in LA and celebrating her birthday. Tales of Monster Truck Jams and roller coaster rides at Magic Mountain with his always important family, showed that David has all of this crazy celebrity stuff in check.  How many world famous celebs are there who would admit to sitting in Dodger Stadium, in a rainstorm, wearing a trash bag for protection, watching Monster Trucks, with their 12 year old sister?  Yeah, that's what I thought.

After wishing his lil' sis yet another "Happy Birthday," David got down to business in this vlog, thanking his fans for their support and apologizing for scaring them. You see, people being people, and not using their heads to think things through, fans started to worry that David was devastated by being "dropped by his label" and was going to give up his career in music and drop off the face of the earth or something.  Well, all I can say about these "fair weather fans" is that they have not been listening to David very much these past three years.  Yes, there have been times that David has doubted himself and possibly questioned why he has been given this mission for his life, but I don't ever remember David actually saying that he would give up on music.  Why would he have worked so hard to overcome the vocal chord paralysis and regain his ability to sing, if he ever thought that he might not want to sing again?  David is a fighter and not one to give up easily. Even if Jive had been the ones to break the relationship, David would not have been devastated, as some feared.

I 'm glad that David cleared the air and told us what had really happened. His contract with Jive was up. Jive has undergone some major changes and is moving in a new direction. David is undergoing changes also and wants to move in a new direction.  These two directions do not match.  Jive had asked David to stay but David felt it was time to move on.  The same with his management company.  David felt that he needed to move in a different direction. Once again, in true Archuleta style, David said nothing bad about either of these companies and thanked them for their help and support. The sign of a true classy person.

David has announced that he has learned that he needs to be in charge of his life, his career.  He needs to make the decisions about what he does and how he continues in his career.  His life and future are on the line here and he is the one to decide.  David is not leaving music, just stepping back, regrouping, and looking to the future, which he is excited about.  He is writing new music, on his own, with his own thoughts and feelings.  He does not need to rely on anyone else to think for him.  Bravo David!!! You might only be 20 but you are far more of a man than most 50 yr olds I know. Go ahead. Make your own decisions.  Trust in God to help you along the way.  You know that He will, He gave you this gift to share with the world. He wants you to succeed.


Until all of this craziness of the last few days hit, I had listened to David's music extensively, but never stopped to really experience the words.  As I was thinking about what I wanted to say here today, I started looking at the lyrics to some of the songs that David has co-penned and I made an interesting discovery. He has been giving me clues to what was about to happen all along, I just wasn't listening.


So, the first song that I want to acknowledge was recorded by a young David, even before his time on American Idol and way before all of this craziness with Jive.


Dream Sky High
Time and again the doubts come along
But why let them stay?
Everyone's far from who they could be
We're all on our way

Days we are strong we remember well
Days we were scared we live and learn
Ask me the way and I will point above
No matter what
That's where I turn



And here are some lyrics to some of David's co-writes from his latest album, The Other Side of Down, also known to fans as "The Album That Jive Ignored." They tell me a lot now.


Gonna take this moment that I'm in right now,
Stop this craziness some how. 
Leave it all behind me, 
And no one's gonna find me.
I've got nothing to win, I've got nothing to lose,
Just trying to walk in my own two shoes.

Gonna take this time now. 
It's time for me to find out
Who I Am




I've been silent up to now
I've been going with the flow
Wherever that goes

But something's screaming out inside
Makes me want to close my eyes
And hear the echo

I don't know what I'm doing here
How I landed in this place
But it's a Good Place




I didn't understand
I didn't wanna know
At least I took a chance
I had to let it go


Elevator goes up
Elevator come down
And you just go with the flow
Til your feet are back on the ground

Next time I'll get it right
Next time I'll be okay
I'll have a different dream tonight
Tomorrow's another day




Any time any minute now
We could fall, could all crash down
But I'm not gonna handle it that way
No way

'Cause I don't always get everything that I want
It doesn't turn out just the way that I thought it all should be
Baby, I can't complain

No more wasting my time looking in the mirror
Wishing my life was a little bit clearer
No way, baby, I can't Complain




Shut the window tight
But it's raining on the inside.
Do you realize your getting nowhere
That it's all laid out for you?
Cut the ribbon if it starts to fray.

When you close your eyes to see the view
You'll miss everything surrounding you
Stop and just look around
Get up and Look Around




Here I am with all these questions hanging from my ceiling low
And one day they'll keep telling me I told you so
Everywhere I turn I see red lights flashing over my head
Oh no, oh no, oh no
In a whirl-wind spinning, yeah, somehow it knocked me off my feet 
But I know better than to let it get the best of me,
I could give up, I could stay stuck, or I could move on.

So I put one foot front of the other, 
No, no,  no, nothing's gonna break my stride. 
I keep climbing, gonna keep fighting
Until I mike it to The Other Side of Down




But I know Things Are Gonna Get Better
I know things are gonna be fine
I know life is gonna get better, 
Standing here together, Yeah, we're gonna be fine.



Yes sir, David. I believe you. Life is gonna get better. We, the fans are standing here with you and Yeah, we're all gonna be fine.




P.S.  Click on any of the highlighted song titles to go to Youtube for a full length version of each song with lyrics. Thanks to all of the awesome fans of David Archuleta who have taken the time to make these videos.  I wish I had your talent. 



No comments: