Friday, February 11, 2011

David gives us a new task: Spend time with kids.

David Archuleta has given his fans a new task for the week. Work with kids this week.

I am happy to say that David has given us an assignment this week that I will not have any problems completing. I do this every week. For one, I tutor a middle school student in English each week. Brilliant young man but he can't sit still for the life of him. I am also the Assistant Scoutmaster for my son's Boy Scout Troop. I am in charge of their advancement progress. Five of these boys, including my son, are in the process of completing their Eagle Scout ranks. I have known all of them since they were in first grade. Great young men and leaders for our future. I also volunteer with our children's ministry as often as I can.

This photo is of some of the boys in my son's Boy Scout troop. My son is the tall one in the light shorts, behind the podium.





More important than my volunteering is that my own kids also volunteer with the younger kids at church,  working in the children's ministry. My daughter, Amanda, 18, takes care of the infants every Sunday. She is the one they turn to when the babies won't stop crying. She has been doing this for a year and before that she spent 3 years with the toddlers. My son, Brandon, 16, is in his 4th year working with the 4 and 5 year olds. He loves the little kids and they love him. Parents have even asked if he could go to their homes to play with the little kids. Both of my kids have learned the importance of being there for the younger kids and setting an example for them. They have also learned what a responsibility it is to care for children and what a blessing it can be.


EDIT:  On Feb 12 our church had a special dinner honoring those who volunteer in different areas of the church. My entire family was in attendance.  Shortly before ending the dinner, there was a surprise announcement that each of the ministry heads had each chosen to honor one specific person in their areas who they feel exemplifies a trait of a servant of the Lord.  I am quite happy to say that the director of the Children's Ministry chose my son, Brandon, as her example of a humble servant. He was recognized for his faithful service to the children of our church. While the adults working in this area alternate months of service and always have the summers off, Brandon has been there almost every Sunday for 4 1/2 years, serving the children of our church. And he has never been forced to do this by anyone, not even at the beginning. It has always been of his own choosing, his own heart.
This mom's heart is full.

No comments: