Thursday, March 10, 2011

American Idol 10: Top 13 Performances

Another performance show has come and gone last night, so tonight we send someone home.   I really liked some of the performances of the Top 13 and I really disliked some also.  Here's my take on the contestants in order of preference best to worst.

1. Casey- I love how different Casey is and I love the song he sang last night.  The back up singers added to the performance, which is unusual for the Idol choirs, in my opinion.  Nice job Casey. Please stay healthy and continue to amaze us.  What other instruments can you play? Surprise us.

2. Scotty- I love this country kid.  His voice is perfect for this kind of music.  He did have a turning-point performance last night.  It was as if all of a sudden he looked out at the audience and saw them really getting into the song and he just opened up. The whole expression on his face seemed to change. His body language changed and he soared.  I was glad that he was able to speak up and tell the producers that he did not want to change up the song.  As Randy said; "If it ain't broke, don't even think about fixin' it."

3. Stefano-  This guy has some potential.  I like his voice. He has personality in his voice. When I heard he was singing Stevie Wonder, I was worried. Not many can pull off Stevie songs but I think he did a good job.  I didn't like the dance version tempo change.  Are the producers purposely trying to mess with some of these contestants?  Not every song needs to be changed for it to be good.  Stick with what you know Stefano. Last week proved that you know what we like.

4. James-  Although I admire James immensely, I have not been a fan of his recent performances until tonight.  Between the more tamed song and the makeover that he received, the whole performance was something that I could actually watch and enjoy. "Maybe I'm Amazed" is a great song that I have been wishing to hear David Archuleta cover. So far we have only had a small sampling of it from him.  James had a good cover of it.  No major shouting (thank you) and the producers didn't try to change it into something else.

5. Naima- I have liked this girl from the start.  She is different and fun and passionate. I liked that she wanted to tackle something different for the show and she did a good job, but I am not a Rhiana fan or an "Umbrella" fan.  At least Naima sounded better with this than Rhiana does. IMO.

6. Lauren Alaina- Why?  Don't get me wrong, I like the girl.  She is immensely talented but why such a blah song. When I said that I didn't want to hear her sucking up to ST any more, I didn't mean that she should put us to sleep either.  Where was her spark and spunk?  Come back Lauren.

7. Pia-  I have seen reviews today where everyone is just giving such high praise to Pia for this performance of "All By Myself" but I didn't think it was that good. Yes, it is a difficult song and yes, she does have a great voice.  I thought that her technique on the high notes was all wrong and, to me, she seemed to be screechy on those upper notes when she threw her head back to hit them. Not a terrible performance by any means, but not her best for me. Oh, and I did not know that Celine sang this song, I only remember Eric Carmen singing it.

8. Karen- Oh, Karen.  I had such high hopes for this song. I have thought all along that you look like Selena and then to see that you are going to sing Selena, well, I just knew that you would kill the song. Maybe not.  Was I expecting too much?  Have you been sick? What happened to your fire?  What fool talked you into singing only in English? To me, part of your appeal is that you can sing in Spanish also. Please do that again, especially if you are performing music of your Idol who sang for the largest part in Spanish.

9. Thia-  Poor Thia.  She had the song all mastered until some fool decided to change it to a jazz version and then it totally owned her instead of her owning it.  I like Thia's voice and will concede that she is trained in excellent vocal techniques, but the girl does not have a personality. Please do something to endear yourself to the American public or you will be gone, talented or not.

10. Haley- You are not LeeAnn or Patsy. Please do not sing that song again.  That is all.

11. Jacob- Your bizarre facial expressions are killing me.  I can not watch you sing. As everyone on twitter was talking about you last night, all I could say about your performance of "I Believe I Can Fly" was Then Please Fly Away.

12. Ashthon- I have 6 words for you; Ashthon, You Are Not Diana Ross.

13. Paul- After that performance, no one will be interested to learn more about Ryan Adams. You did him a disservice by singing his song. YUCK.

No comments: