Thursday, April 21, 2011

American Idol 10: Top 7 Sing Songs From the 21st Century ????

So I was worried when I heard this week's theme would be songs from the 21st century.  I was afraid everyone would be handed a list of Black Eyed Pea's songs to choose from.  I mean, will.i.am has been on the show in some capacity for the last 4 weeks in a row.  They might as well just have all of the kids sing  BEP songs and get it over with.  I am pleased to report that I did not see will or any other members of the Pea's in tonight's show.  Yeah!!!!!

So we started out with all 6 of this years rejects (so far) singing Pink's So What.  The girls sounded ok with it.  Pia, poor thing, was so out of place. And then Paul joined the girls.  Why, oh why????  Paul needs to stop singing for a while now, please.  He needs to go and get his vocal chords fixed before he does permanent damage.

First up, Scotty singing LeeAnn Rhimes' Swingin'.  Definitely different.  I'm with the judges, I think he should have picked something else.  It was fun, but not really something to get excited about. Not good to be mediocre in the first slot of the night. He should be safe though, since all the little girls will vote for him.

Next, James brings us something very different; Muse's Uprising.  Now this is a really unusual for Idol performance.  Made me think of Adam Lambert and all of the stuff they would pull out to pimp him for the win. I'm glad that James told us that he is coming up with this stuff.  I like James.  This is definitely not the music I listen to but I like James as a person and a performer.  I know that he will have an incredible career no matter when/where he leaves Idol.

Haley is up with Adele's Rolling in the Deep . I love the song with Adele, it was ok with Haley.  I think she took a big risk performing something that is on the charts right now.  Too easy to compare the two.  We haven't heard any other artists try the song yet.

Jacob, why oh why are you still in this competition.  Trying to fill really big shoes taking on Luther Vandros' Dance with My Father. I don't even know this song and I can tell that it is too much for Jacob. Sometimes it is not a good idea to take on a song that has an overpowering emotional connection for you,  unless you can separate yourself enough stay in control during the song.  Combine emotions with technical failures and the song is a mess.

Casey is definitely the rebel of the group.  Always going for the songs that don't quite fit with the others. This time it was Maroon 5's Harder to Breath.  I love you Casey, but this was an odd choice and I don't think that America is going to love it as much as you did.  I hope I'm wrong.  It was kind of fun that he ended the song singing right in JLo's face and then kissed her on the cheek.

Stefano was on fire with this performance of Neyo's Closer.  The intro clips portrayed him as a ladies man and he took that theme to the floor for his performance.  He definitely seemed more at ease with this performance.  Dancing and strutting around the stage, he was definitely going for the ladies votes this time.  I like Stefano, but three weeks in the bottom 3 might do him in this time.  I guess it will all depend on how much of the "cougar" votes he gets.

Lauren got the highlight spot this time but I really don't think that this song was a high point for her. Born to Fly by Sarah Evans really didn't seem to have wings.  It should have soared much more than it did.  I think that Lauren has been pushed too much and she is going to burn out before this is all over.  I hope that is not the case.  Be careful Miss Lauren.


My order of finish for this week:
1. James
2. Stefano
3. Scotty
4. Casey
5. Lauren
6. Haley
7. Jacob

This was a difficult week to rate.  We'll see what happens tonight.

No comments: