Thursday, May 19, 2011

American Idol 10: Top 3 Performances

I can't believe that Idol is down to just three contestants already.  The season seems to have flown by.  Ryan tells us that over 125,000 auditioned for Idol this year and we are down to 3.  (I won't say the best three, because I don't believe that is the case.  Some of my favorites left the competition a long time ago.)

We started the show with a mini review of the hometown visits.  I would expect more coverage of that on the results show.  TPTB were nice and let James' hometown have his homecoming also even though he was eliminated last week.  That was so nice of them.  I remember in season 7, Jason Castro went out at #4, and Rockwall, Tx had a spectacular homecoming for him too, just not the same weekend as the Top 3 and not supported by the AI peeps.

This year, the top 3 will have three songs to sing: their choice, Jimmy Iovine's choice, and the judge's choice.  In past years, for the judge's choice one judge chose a song for one contestant.  This year, it was a group decision.

First round is Contestant's choice and Beyonce' is the mentor.
Scotty sang "Amazed" by Lonestar.  He was awesome.  I love this song and Scotty did a great job with it.
Randy said "Scotty's got money, Ryan."  I think that means he did good.

Lauren sang "Wild One" by Faith Hill.  I am not real familiar with this song but I thought it sounded good.  It is definitely country and so is Lauren.  Lauren's outfit was a little different for me.  My first thought was "Country goes Hawaiian."

Haley sang a classic, "What Is and What Should Never Be" by Led Zeppelin. TPTB actually let her daddy accompany her on this song.  He was pretty good but, as a parent, I'm sure it was hard for him not to drop that guitar and run to Haley when she tripped going up the stairs.  She pulled it together and kept going but seemed to lose a little along the way.  I wasn't thrilled with the performance.  I think it was the female voice that made it seem weird.  It was also kind of difficult to catch all of the words, which is important to me.

According to the judges, Round #1 goes to Haley.  ( I'm not sure which performance they were at, but I don't agree.  I thought Scotty was much better that both of the girls.)

Round #2 songs are Jimmy's choices. I thought he did a pretty good job.  Don't want to give these kids bum songs when you will be signing two of these three to contracts in the very near future.

Scotty sang "Are You Gonna Kiss Me or Not" by Thompson Square.  This was a fun song for Scotty.  It sounded pure country.  Steven Tyler told Scotty "You were living the song."

Lauren sang "If I Die Young" by The Band Perry.  I like this song a lot and thought Lauren was doing great until she zoned out and forgot where she was.  It has to be hard to be up in front of all of these people at 16 yrs old but if she wants to succeed she has to get use to it.  Poor thing was having trouble even before the singing started.  Her hose ripped and we saw her getting make-up on her legs as her beginnings clip rolled.

Haley sang "Rhiannon" by Fleetwood Mac/ Stevie Nicks.  this is a very difficult song and I'm not sure that Jimmy did her any favors asking Haley to perform this song.  Everyone knows Stevie Nicks' version and Haley wasn't even close to it.

Judges opinion, Round #2 split vote.  ST- Lauren, JLo and Randy- Scotty.

Next we are tortured with Beyonce's new music video to "Run the World (Girls)" .  YUCK.  Enough said.

Round #3 songs are the judges' choices. Two out of three are good ideas.  Haley has been thrown under the bus.  YES.

Scotty sang "She Believes in Me" by Kenny Rogers.  It might be an old song, but it does some definite high points that Scotty needs to show .  ST said "it was over the top."  Jennifer said "We picked this for you to see if you could hit the chorus.  You showed us."

Lauren sang   "I Hope You Dance" by Leeann Womack.  That is some fancy, beautiful dress that she is wearing .  She soared during this performance.  JLo got goose bumps.  Steven told her "You walked out here like you owned the Grand Ol' Opry. Randy said, "Ryan, she's in it to win it."

Haley sang "You Oughta Know" by Alanis Morrisett.  I thought it was too screechy and had rhythm problems.  I didn't like it . Hard to understand the words for me.

Judge's opinions for Round #3, ST- Haley, JLo- Lauren, Randy- Lauren.

So, now for the hard part.  One goes home tonight. All I know for sure is that Scotty will be safe.  Unless all of the teenage girls had their phones confiscated last night, Scotty will be in the finals.

The girls are a different story.  From all of the reviews I have read, most people don't think that both Scotty and Lauren can be in the finals since they both are country.  My daughter and I don't follow that line of thinking.  We want Lauren and Scotty in the finals.  It would be totally insane to have an all teenage country final.  I think that it would work.  I think that America would be fine with it.

Now that I have said that, if you look back over the weeks at my predictions here, you will see that America and I have not really been in total agreement very much.  I guess, if I really think about it, in the past four seasons, America and I have not agreed either.  Season 6 when I really started watching this show, I had liked Melinda Doolittle, who left too early. Season 7 my favorites were David Archuleta and Jason Castro , who came in second and fourth.  Season 8 I had favored Danny Gokey for the win, and he came in third. Season 9, I was pulling for Casey James, who came in third.  I don't seem to have the best record on picking the winners.  But this is just for my fun, so here goes.

#1 Scotty
#2 Lauren
#3 Haley

We'll see what happens in a few hours.

No comments: