Thursday, May 5, 2011

American Idol 10: Top 5 / Something Old and Something New

Idol is down to five contestants and at least some  of my favorites of the season are still in the running fro the title.  This sounded like it could be a good week.  A pretty wide-open theme, something old and something new.  The contestants could stay in the genre that they prefer. All they had to do is come up with songs that can get cleared to perform and have released on iTunes.

I had high hopes for this week's mentor, Sheryl Crowe.  Unfortunately, she did not deliver on all of the sessions like she could have. Some of her ideas were good, some useless.  Oh, well.

Randy started out with his ever popular, to him, pep talk on "Who's in it to win it?" and the judges went down hill from there.  Not a lot of helpful pointers again this week.

I will just go ahead and review both songs for each contestant at the same time.

James' first sang "Closer to the Edge" by 30 Seconds to Mars.  I am not familiar with the sound of this group or the song but I thought James did a good job with it.  It was something that I could hear him performing , so, Good Job James. His second song was "Without You" by Harry Nielson.  This song was almost to much for James.  He was emotional during it that it effected his performance.  I still liked it but I'm not sure if America will. 

Jacob's first song was a big mistake, Jordin Sparks duet with Chris Brown "No Air."  I did not like this performance at all.  I think his voice was higher that Jordin's at some points.  YUCK And he looks so awkward pointing and flailing his arms.  And he was sharp.  What a mess.  His second song was just as bad, "Love Hurts" by Nazarath. While this is a great song when properly sung, this was just too painful to listen to.  I had to stop.

Lauren sang "Flat on the Floor" by Carrie Underwood.  It was ok but she seemed to be loosing it on some of the low notes this time.  Lauren sang one of my all time favorite songs for her second selection, the Righteous Brothers "Unchained Melody".  Lauren said that this is her parent's song, and it is my husband and my song also, so I am very familiar with it.  I love to sing this song and it sticks in my mind any time I hear it.  Unfortunately, I did not think that Lauren did that good a job on it.  I did not like the growling that she added to it at all and , at times, she was a little off key. I did not agree with all of the praise coming from the judges on this performance.  I think that she is just too young to truly do a good job on this song.

Scotty had two true country songs for his performances.  First up, "Gone" by Montgomery Gentry.  Scotty had a totally high-powered fantastic performance with this song.  Scotty owned the stage. He showed a side of him that we had not totally seen before.  Great job.  For his second song Scotty brought us back down to earth with "You're Always On My Mind".  So many wonderful artists have performed this including two of my favorites, Elvis and Willie Nelson.  All that I can say about this performance is Absolutely Beautiful.

Haley seemed to have a really weird night.  First song, "You and I" was an unreleased Lady Gaga song that Jimmy suggested she sing.  That might really hurt her in the long run.  Gaga is very controversial and Haley might loose Idol votes because of this song.  I didn't particularly like the song, but I didn't hate it either.  She did much better than Jacob did on his first song.  For her second song, Haley pulled out a classic, "The House of the Rising Sun" by the Animals.  This was the first time that I have actually loved Haley's performance on Idol.  This is a great song and I didn't mind Haley's growls during it.  They weren't overdone as I worried that they might be.  The best part of the song was the a Capella beginning, suggested by Sheryl Crowe. 



So here is my order of finish tonight with #5 hopefully going home, finally.

#1 Scotty
#2 James
#3 Lauren
#4 Haley
#5 Jacob

Can't wait to see what happens tonight.

No comments: