Friday, July 1, 2011

The Riddle

Everyone has heard the old joke, "What's black and white and red all over?  A newspaper."  This type of joke is considered a riddle.  A riddle is something intended to confuse the mind and my mind is confused right now so....

I have a new riddle for you. 

"What can be both 'cool as a cucumber' and hotter that fireworks; innocent as a newborn yet wiser than an ancient sage; and brings out the 'Mother' in you one minute but strikes a 'different' chord the next.?"  If you don't know the answer to this riddle, you have been living under a rock recently. So, get out from under that rock and join us here in the world of the Archuleta.

David Archuleta has been in the news a lot lately, the last few days in particular.  He has been preparing for a tour in Asia later this month and for his performance at Provo, Utah's Stadium of Fire 4th of July Celebration that takes place tomorrow. David has been doing a lot of interviews with Asian news agencies about his tour. A couple of days ago, a radio station in Sinapore premiered a new song by David and the internet exploded.  Everyone in the entertainment world is talking and blogging about "Everything and More." I even saw a tweet from MTV asking what people think of the new song.  Wow! To think that the simple act of playing this song on a radio station on the other side of the world has gotten more attention than Jive ever managed to get for David's album The Other Side of Down when it came out in October of last year, is just mindboggling. 

But I digress.  I don't want to rant about old news (Jive, we are so over you) but bring your attention to something that hit me today as I was watching the incredible interviews David participated in with some Utah TV stations while promoting the Stadium of Fire performance. And here is what came into my mind.

 David Archuleta is a riddle. He is confusing. Above all, he is not normal. Period. That's it. What else is there to say. I think the lovely host of Good Things Utah summed it up very nicely this morning when she said to David , “Do you even understand the extraordinary talent that you are?” She definitely hit the nail on the head with that.  David doesn't understand it and he probably never will.  He doesn't have an ego, so the statement probably can't make any sense to him. But we, as fans, know all too well about that extraordinary talent and the extraordinary young man that possesses it.  But I, for one, am confused. For someone who tries so hard to be so unassuming, how can he be so uninhibited when he starts singing?  How does this shy boy become this fierce man who takes our breath away when the notes flow from his mouth?  I can't explain it. It doesn't make sense to me. And this is my problem.  I want to be able to promote this young man to the world that doesn't know him, but words fail me.

As I thought about these interviews, and tried to process what I had heard and seen, I thought how odd it would be to try to explain David to someone who had no idea who he is. What would I say to them. Is there a word to describe him? As I tried to wrap my mind around the "idea of David," I started thinking about words that could be used in this description. Now, just so you know, I have a Bachelors degree in English Education, but this doesn't make me an expert on the English language, by any means, especially when it comes to talking about this young man. I searched my mind to try to formulate a description and the first word that came to my mind was "enigma." I know that this word will not help most people picture what I am trying to say, so I headed to a dictionary and a thesaurs to try to get a handle on this problem.

Here are a few words that I feel can be used to describe David Archuleta.  I have included definitions for those of you struggling, as I am. 

Enigma: a person of puzzling or contradictory character.
 
Riddle: a person or thing that puzzles, perplexes, or confuses; enigma.

Paradox: a person or thing exhibiting apparently contradictory characteristics.

Conundrum: anything that puzzles.

Mystery: any affair, thing, or person that presents features or qualities so obscure as to arouse curiosity or speculation. Or anything that is kept secret or remains unexplained or unknown.

Anomalya deviation from the average or norm.

Curiosity: a curious, rare, or novel thing.


I know that these words only scratch the surface when it comes to describing David.  I will need to work on this description. I'm not sure if I will ever actually find the proper words to complete it. I'm not sure if the correct words actually exist that can fully encompass the essence of this young man. So I remain confused.

I now have a project for the long weekend.  I will continue to research this curiosity, this conundrum.  I will leave you with this one item that I am using for part of this weekend's research project. I'm sure that you will agree with me that it should be an essential part of any research.



I believe that Matt Clayton is to be thanked again for another incredible photograph.

No comments: