Friday, October 7, 2011

My Kind of Christmas Equals A Thousand Miles

So, like many others in the middle section of the Land of the Archuleta, I am sad. I know that I should be all excited about the new Christmas tour but I just can't bring myself to rejoice when I know that I won't be able to attend one of David Archuleta's concerts this tour. Since I did not have the opportunity to attend the Christmas From The Heart Tour in 2009 because there were no stops in Texas, and I was unable to attend the MoTab performances in Utah last December, I had high hopes of attending a Christmas concert this year. But alas, the My Kind of Christmas Tour is not my kind of tour, for it does not include a stop anywhere near me.

I guess that I should be happy that I was able to attend the Children's Hospital benefit concert in Dallas last December. I loved every minute of that performance, even if it was way too short. I did actually get to shake David's hand at the very, very rushed and limited Meet and Greet before the show. And I was able to attend David's performance at the Kaleidoscope skating show taping a few days later in San Antonio. He only performed two songs there, but it was worth every second of my time to go there. I was even fortunate enough to get his autograph on the program after the show. (ArchuCaroling in the wee hours of a cold San Antonio night FTW.)

But as any true fan of David knows, after you have seen and heard David perform live, there is no possible way that you can exist without hearing him live again, and again, and again.  And it doesn't matter what he is singing, it just matters that he IS singing.  Once David's voice has been allowed to enter your mind, body, and soul, there is no turning back. Nothing can be substituted for the immense euphoria that you experience when you feel his music. To me, Christmas music sung by David is the ultimate in this feel-good euphoria. I could listen to David sing only Christmas music for the rest of my life and I would be completely content.

Nonetheless, as much as I want to be able to attend a Christmas show of David's this year, it will not be. Since I do not have the funds for catching a flight to anywhere right now, I would be required to drive to this concert. After the dates were posted, I did a little research to determine if I could possibly find a way to one of the venues and discovered that the Beaver Creek, Colorado show is the closest to me. But since I live in the middle of Texas, closest does not mean much. It is about a 12 hour drive just to get out of Texas. And then another 6 to 8 hours to get to Beaver Creek, located A Thousand Miles from me. And driving into the mountains of Colorado in December really doesn't sound like a smart idea for this very "Texas" girl. I will just have to live vicariously through the videos of the lucky fans who are fortunate enough to live on one of the US coasts or have ample money to fly wherever their hearts desire.

To deal with my disappointment over not seeing David perform this year, I have rewritten the lyrics to the perfect David cover, A Thousand Miles.

So, David, I just want to say that we might not get a lot of snow here in the middle of the Lone Star State but we do celebrate Christmas, BIG TIME.  Come check it out sometime.

P.S. Don't worry, your Texas fans still love you and will continue to support you, even if you are a million miles away. Once a fan, always a fan!


My Kind of Christmas Equals A Thousand Miles
(sung to the tune of A Thousand Miles)

David announced his tour,
Happy day,
Check the list,
Where will he be?

Staring at my screen,
Not believin' my eyes,
It can't be,
Nowhere near me!

But I need him,
And I miss him,
And so I ponder ...

If I could jump
Onto a plane,
I'd fly to where
He'd sing each day,
'Cause I'd have to drive
A thousand miles
For me to
Just see him
On tour.

I see there's thirteen stops,
But they are all so far,
So I wonder
If he could just
Come this way.

'Cause money here is tight.
So I can not fly.
Texas for tour
Is where he should be!

'Cause I need him,
And I miss him,
And so I ponder ...

If I could jump
Onto a plane,
I'd fly to where
He'd sing each day,
'Cause I'd have to drive
A thousand miles
So I could
Just see him
On tour.

But I, I
Just can't afford to fly.
I, I
Can't drive to Beaver Creek.
I, I
Don't want to miss his tour.
I'm, I'm
SAD!!! :( :( :( :(

David announced his tour,
Happy day,
Check the list,
Where will he be?

Staring at my screen,
Not believin' my eyes,
It can't be,
Nowhere near me!

And I still need him,
But I will miss him,
And so I ponder ...

If I could jump
Onto a plane,
I'd fly to where
He'd sing each day,
'Cause I'd have to drive
A thousand miles
So I could
Just see him ...

If I could jump
Onto a plane,
I'd fly to where
He'd sing each day,
'Cause I'd have to drive
A thousand miles
So I could
See David ...

So I could
Hear David
On tour!!!

No comments: