Monday, January 2, 2012

2012 Already ?????

So, today is January 2, 2012 already. Time is really flying by. I guess most people have made their New Year's Resolutions by now. I have thought about it too, but I don't usually make a written list of resolutions like other people do. To me this is just setting myself up for failure. It's good to have goals and to keep them but I have never been good at the typical things included on these kind of lists.

My husband always makes a list and it usually starts with exercise more, loose weight, eat healthy, etc.  I tried to put these on my mental list one year and it was a total disaster, to say the least. It's not that I don't want to loose weight or be healthier, because I do, but every time I try to get into any kind of exercise routine or program, something happens. I tore a tendon in my foot on year and could barely walk, much less exercise, for almost 2 years after that. After my foot finally healed I tried to start out easy and just walk around the neighborhood. this was short lived because January is in the middle of Cedar pollen season in Austin and, since I am allergic to cedar, breathing is a struggle for me this time of year. I don't have the money for a gym membership so that is out for now too.

Another idea that I have seen included on the resolution lists is get a new job. Well, I have been unemployed for a number of years now and have been unsuccessfully job hunting for at least 4 years so this isn't looking very promising for me. No one wants to hire a 50-something woman who hasn't been employed for a while.

I don't want to sound negative by just listing the things I can't do here because I am not a negative person, just realistic.  There are many things that I hope to accomplish this year. Here are a couple of things I really want to do.

1. I am going to keep submitting my manuscript to agents until I find one who will help me get it published. I spent the past year writing and rewriting my first ever novel and I really want to find a way to get it published.

2. I will keep trying to find a job. There must be something out there for a woman with a college degree, years of experience at many things, and the desire to work.

3. I will try to be a better wife and mother.  It's not that I'm bad at either of these, it's just there is always room for improvement. My role as a mother will be changing even more this year as my youngest graduates from high school and enlists in the Navy. This will be a huge change for our entire family, so I know that I need to come to terms with it before it happens.

4. I will try to live a less sedentary lifestyle. Hopefully, after cedar season, I will be able to start walking again and maybe I can loose some weight. I need too. At the very least, I need to get away from this computer more often than I have this past year.

Well, these are the things I will be working on this year. I might add a few things along the way.  Hopefully I can actually accomplish some of these things. It would be nice.

No comments: