Tuesday, March 5, 2013

American Idol 12: The Judges Are Delusional

Well, here it is. The top 20 for Season 12 of American Idol as determined by the judges, or Jimmy, or the producers. I actually think my dog could have picked a better top 20, but, as the saying goes, "It is what it is." 

The Girls:
Adriana Latonio
Amber Holcomb
Angie Miller
Aubrey Cleland
Breanna Steer
Candice Glover
Janelle Arthur
Kree Harrison
Tenna Torres
Zoanette Johnson

The Guys:
Burnell Taylor
Charlie Askew
Cortez Shaw
Curtis Finch Jr
Devin Velez
Elijah Liu
Lazaro Arbos
Nick Boddington
Paul Jolley
Vincent Powell

One thing is certain this season, the winning string from the last five seasons of the WGWG (white guy with guitar) has been broken. Unless one of the three remaining white guys suddenly shows us he can play guitar, it won't happen this season. I think I remember seeing Charlie playing a guitar in a backstory clip, but I doubt he would be comfortable on stage with it. Nick plays keys but I don't know about guitar and Paul doesn't seem like a guitar player.

Another thing that is very different this season, no one will be able to complain that the minority contestants were voted out before they had a chance to perform. Actually, this season is the opposite with 70 percent of the top 20 being non-white.

Of course, in a singing competition, the only thing that should truly matter is if the contestants can actually sing well.  Too bad Idol forgot that special qualification this season.  I would say that the good singers decided to try out for one of the other shows but that isn't necessarily true. We heard some really great talent get axed over the past few weeks. And now we are left with this, whatever it is.

I normally wait to hear the contestants sing before I make a prediction as to who will be moving on, but I think I'll just stick my neck out here a little and pick a top 10. I am going under the assumption that we will end up with 5 girls and 5 guys in the top 10. If America votes the way I think they will (and TPTB give us the actual results this week) here is my top 10 list.

Girls: Angie, Candice, Kree, Adriana, Amber 
The girls receiving all the praise from Nicki are gone because most voters don't like Nicki.

Guys: Burnell, Lazaro, Vincent, [Paul (if he doesn't complain about being nervous), maybe Nick (but he is not really relateable) or maybe Cortez (if he sings better this week)]
I really don't know about the last two slots. Curtis is a good singer but he made a lot of people mad during Hollywood week. Charlie is a bit too weird for most of America. Devin and Elijah don't fit the normal Idol mold.

It should be interesting. I'll let y'all know what I think about tonight's girls performances in the morning.


No comments: