Thursday, March 27, 2014

American Idol 13: Top 9 Performances

So this week's theme is "I'm With The Band" and the performances are the be with the band on stage with the contestants. We'll see how that goes.

First we get a video of Pete Wentz and Patrick Stump of The Fall Out Boys doing a Q and A with the kids. They actually had some solid advise about staying healthy and getting along with your band mates.

Now we have a group performance. Well, actually trios performing different songs.
Sam, Alex, and Majesty perform "Clocks" by Coldplay.
Dexter, Jessica, and CJ perform "Satisfaction" by The Rolling Stones.
Jena, Caleb, and Malaya perform "My Songs Know What You Did In The Dark" by Fall Out Boy.

Performance time finally starts:
Alex - "Don't Speak" - No Doubt
Alex has his trusty guitar to protect him again. Simple beginning, then band is slowly added in. This sounds pretty good. Kind of a Mraz sound to the song. I do wish Alex could walk around a little. It's like he is frozen in place in front of the mic stand. I wonder if there is something Idol is not telling us about Alex. He is very talented and has a very unique voice, but he is just so awkward on stage.
Keith - You have your vibe, but it needs an edge to grab my attention.
Jennifer - It lacked energy.
Harry - I'd like to see you move around more during the performance.

Majesty - "Shake It Up" - Florence and The Machine
Her clothing style tonight is more her age and current profession, instead of kindergarten  teacher. I feel this is an odd song choice. Florence is a lot different than Majesty performance-wise. I'm not liking it much.
Jennifer - That's the Majesty I love. Vocally it was all over the place, but for performance, I give a 10.
Harry - Your so talented. I still waiting for you to connect. I liked you performance.
Keith - I think that was a great song for you. You need to center your performance.

Dexter - "Boondocks" - Little Big Town
Dexter has his guitar on him again and is glued to the mic stand. Actually, this might be a good move, because he sounds a lot better this week.
Harry - Generic. You need to make the song your own.
Keith - You could have had a hit with that song if you recorded it first.
Jennifer - Good job.

Malaya - "The Long And Winding Road" - The Beatles
(Disclaimer: I am already biased against her with this song choice because David Archuleta killed it during season 7.)
She is dressed appropriately for the song choice. And she has new glasses. She is making distractedly awkward arm and hand movements. She is ok, but not great.
Keith - Gosh that was beautiful baby. That performance showed me your spirit.
Jennifer - You stole the opening number. Your so blessed.
Harry - You get the award for the consistently improving. Keep working on your craft.

Sam - "Hey There Delilah" The Plain White T's"
Sam is playing his guitar and only has another guitar and partial drum set to back him. Not much "band" has the theme states. This sounds like a Sam song. He has a nice voice but needs some energy injected into the performance.
Jennifer - You need to have someone to single out that you sing to, to give more meaning to what you sing.
Harry - I see you in this type of environment; very stripped down performance.
Keith - Don't think about each note so much. Be looser.

Jessica - "Rihannon" - Fleetwood Mac
I don't like this performance as much because she sounds too much like Stevie Nicks, but isn't delivering it in the same way. Better not to be compared to the original. I do like Jessica's zebra stripe outfit. his was an ok performance.
Harry - Nice job. this may be my favorite performance of yours.
Keith - I love the outfit. You need to work on performing without the guitar, so you will be more comfortable and can move around.
Jennifer - Your confidence is growing. Now work on drawing us in.

CJ - "If It Hadn't Been For Love" - The Steel Drivers
CJ has his guitar and is backed by an upright bass, a tambourine, and a cajon percussion box. Guess he didn't get the "Band" memo either. Poor CJ. He has passion, but can't sing in tune for the life of him. This might be his swan song tonight.
Keith - Clever song choice. You need to know the difference between the sound of the song and the feeling of the song.
Jennifer - I never get tired of your voice, but the middle of this performance was so off.
Harry - Performing is like a juggler; there's a lot to keep going at one time.

Caleb - "Dazed and Confused" - Led Zepplin
Now THIS is a band song. Good Choice Caleb. The rocker has arrived and he is in full-on head-banging mode. Keith and Jennifer are rocking along. The audience loves the performance and so do I.
Jennifer - That performance was sexy. if you wan to be the front man for a rock band, you have to have that.
Harry - These were lofty goals to reach with this song, but I just don't know how you could have done any better. It's tough to follow that.
Keith - Tonight's called "I'm with the band" but your such a good front man, it's like the band was saying "I'm with the singer."

Jena - "Bring Me To Life" - Evanescence
Jena is releasing her rocker girl tonight. The vocals seem to be there, but some of her movement on stage are stiff and it's not always possible to her her vocals.
Harry - You were actually able to follow Caleb. Really, really strong.
Keith - I love that every performance you deliver. Good. Job.
Jennifer - You sound phenomenal. I wanted you to be more messy on stage. Throw yourself into it more. But great job.

My top 3: Caleb, Jena, Jessica

My bottom 3: CJ, Majesty, Malaya or Dexter

Time to go home: CJ

Results show performance by:  Janelle Monae



No comments: