Friday, March 6, 2015

American Idol Season 14: Top 16

Well, this week we got the first results of America's votes revealing the Top 16 and I must say, I am not completely pleased with the outcome. The girls' results are about as I thought, but the guys' results are not. Two of my favorites were eliminated and the one guy I thought sold not have even made the Top 24 advanced. BOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!  Oh well, that's Idol for you. Here's what happened this week.

Idol was still in Detroit this week. First, Aretha Franklin performed "I Will Survive."
We also meet the Season 14 mentor, Scott Borchetta. Ryan tells us he launched the career of Taylor Swift. I did a little research and found out that Scott is the president and CEO of Nashville-based Big Machine Label group.

It was MoTown week.

Top 8 guys and what they performed this week:

Daniel Seavey - How Sweet It Is (To Be Loved By You) by Marvin Gaye
Good job. Maybe the key was a touch too low, but he pulled it off. Judges agreed with me. Wearing a brown suit and bow tie. Too cute.

Mark Andrew - Papa Was A Rolling Stone by The Temptations
The absolute right song for him. His age is a definite advantage. He knows who he is and what works for him. Oddly, the judges didn't love the song choice. They all thought it was too jam-band.

Rayvon Owen - My Girl by The Temptations
He had on a new hat. I didn't like it. The performance was very sweet. His voice was good. He can definitely hit the high falsetto notes. It was good, but didn't blow me away.

Adam Ezegelian - I Want You Back by The Jackson 5
YUCK!!! My least favorite Top 12 guy advances, so that means one of my favorites goes home. I don't like this guy screaming and growling at me. What is wrong with America? Who voted for this guy?

Clark Beckham - The Tracks of My Tears by Smokey Robinson and The Miracles
Started off with just Clark and his electric guitar, which sounded great. Then he was joined by the band and back up singers. He had a couple of rough spots with intonation, but over all, he was really good. He knows what he is doing, if TPTB don't mess him up. Keith said he should have skipped the band altogether. I agree.

Nick Fradiani - Signed, Sealed , Delivered (I'm Yours) by Stevie Wonder
Nice intro, just Nick. Jam picks up with the band. Very nice job. Great vocals. Nick is the other "old man" of the group and he also knows what works for him. He is my favorite.

Qaasim Middleton - I Wish by Stevie Wonder
Qaasim was definitely into the song. Lots of movement, but it might have been too much. Vocals weren't perfect. But he is a great entertainer.  The audience loved him and so did the judges. Jennifer tells him not to lose the vocals when he dances.

Quentin Alexander - Master Blaster (Jammim') by Stevie Wonder
Quentin's outfit has a tribal look to it and he be reggae "jammim' to the song." I liked it. He is different, but in  a good way.

Sadly, we say good bye to Savion Wright, Trevor Douglas, Michael Simeon, and Riley Bria. This was a hard night. I really liked all four of these guys and wish that any one of them had continued instead of Adam. Oh, well. There are still some extremely talented guys in the competition. Now, for the girls.

Top 8 girls and what they performed this week:

Tyanna Jones - Rockin' Robin by Michael Jackson
I really appreciate the fact that this girl dresses her age. Cute and conservative. Her momma is doing a great job. For someone so young, this girl is very smart. This was a great song for her. Strong performance. I loved it.

Loren Lott - I Wanna Be Where You Are by Michael Jackson
Her voice is good, but her goofy demeanor is getting to me. She is just too "oh my gosh, oh my gosh, oh my gosh"and giggling all the time. The performance was good though.

Maddie Walker - I'll Be There by The Jackson 5
This was a really good performance. It was great to hear something not country from her so we could hear the quality of her voice, especially after her last flat performance. Keith liked that she didn't try and do Michael's runs in that song. I agree with him.

Joey Cook - Shop Around by The Miracles
This was a very funky performance. I liked it a lot, although Joey looked like she was about to explode at any moment by the end of the song. I'm glad she held t together. Very unique. I hope America keeps her around for a while.

Sarina-Joi  Crowe - You've Really Got A Hold On Me by The Miracles
Accompanied by a solo guitar only. Really nice job. Great song choice and arrangement. I like her voice. She is growing on me.

Adanna Duru - Hello by Lionel Richie
I liked the song choice, but her arm movements were distracting and I hated the dress she was wearing. It was way too tight and too short. And she wasn't singing in tune either. Blah performance.

Jax - Ain't No Mountain High Enough by Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell
The arrangement was changed to a major jazz piece. Very different from the original song. Not bad but so different it will probably offend some die-hard MoTown fans. Jax does have a fantastic voice though, so I hope America keeps her around for a lot longer. JLo and Harry didn't like the arrangement either.

Alexis Gomez -  I Can't Help Myself (Sugar Pie Honey Bunch) by The Four Tops
She looks cute, even though she is barefoot on stage. For some reason she is singing with a weird southern accent, which I don't remember her speaking with normally. The singing wasn't in key either. Another blah performance.

So we say good bye to Katherine Winston, Lovey James, Shannon Berthiaume, and Shi Scott.

My favorites for the Top 12 are:
Guys:
Daniel, Clark, Nick, Mark, Quentin, Qaasim

Girls:
Tyanna, Joey, Jax, Sarina-Joi, Maddie, Loren

We'll see what next week brings us. Hopefully, not another major disappointment. Send Adam home America.

No comments: