Monday, March 2, 2015

Top 12 Guys and Top 12 Girls Perform

I had company all last week so I'm running way behind with this post, so here is a short review of what happened.

Idol took the Top 24 to Detroit to perform before a live audience for two weeks. This was the first day of the audience vote. We get the results next week and cut 24 to 16.  First up, the guys.

Adam Ezegalian - I Wanna Rock by Twisted Sister
Very scary. He looked like a mad scientist in a suit and sweater vest screaming at the audience.

Michael Simeon - How Am I supposed To Live Without You by Michael Bolton
Sadly, it was kind of bland for me. Michael has a better voice than that.

Savion Wright - Hey, Soul Sister by Train
I like Savion and this was a good performance, but not great. I think TPTB had the kids out in the awful cold temperatures in Detroit for too long. Three rough vocals so far.

Mark Andrew - The Weight by The Band
Perfect song for his raspy, gravely voice. The cold didn't get to him.

Trevor DouglasBest I Ever Had by Gavin DeGraw
I like this kid. He's talented and funny. Cracking voice. Cold or 17. Nor sure. Definitely not his best.

Clark Beckham - When A Man Loves A Woman by Percy Sledge
Awesome. Hopefully the young voters recognize his talent. Best so far.

Rayvon Owen - Jealous by Nick Jonas
It was ok. High notes didn't always sound right to me.

Daniel Seavey - I'm Yours by Jason Mraz
Played a Vox Mandelin. He did a really good job on the intricacies of this song.

Riley Bria - Homeboy by Eric Church
Not bad, but needed something.

Quentin Alexander - I Put A Spell On You by Screamin' Jay Hawkins
Very eccentric looking young man, but I like him. He's different. Very soulful, emotional performance. I hope America voted for him.

Nick Fradiani - Thinking Out Loud by Ed Sheeran
My absolute favorite to win the whole thing. Perfect song choice. Great performance. I would have loved to hear the whole song. The best of the night.

Qaasim Middleton - Uptown Funk by Mark Ronson featuring Bruno Mars
A showman in the making. Very entertaining to watch. Great choice.

And the girls.

Lovey James - Love Runs Out by OneRepublic
She used to look more country, but now she is a pop singer. I'm confused. It was ok but not great.

Adanna Duru - Rather Be by Clean Bandit featuring Jess Glynne
I've never heard this song before. Slow start, then she starts screeching at me. Not my cup of tea.

Alexis Gomez - Gunpowder and Lead by Miranda Lambert
Too much twang and not enough attitude. Miranda she is NOT.

Joey Cook - Somebody Like You by Keith Urban
Playing her accordion. She is so quirky, but it works for her. Song sounds like a polka, but it is actually good. And Keith loved it too. Best so far. for the girls.

Katherine Winston - Safe and Sound by Taylor Swift featuring The Civil Wars
Definitely a folk singer. She sounds pretty good, but she looks so scared or sad or something. I really haven't been blown away by her, but this was much better.

Shannon Berthiaume - Who Knew by P!nk
Bad song choice. Needed to be in a different key, at least. She has a decent voice, but she is so inexperienced. Idol is going to kill her.

Loren Lott - Note To God by Charice
Never heard the song before and can't stand Charice. Sounded shaky at first but the power kicked in at the key change.  Good job.

Shi Scott - Umbrella by Rihanna
Scary see-thru dress. I didn't like the performance. Way too screechy. Totally the wrong song.

Maddie Walker - Love Gets Me Every Time by Shania Twain
She has a great country voice, but this song wasn't a great choice. Kind of boring.

Sarina-Joi Crowe - Momma Knows Best by Jessie J
Great job. Attitude and vocals both worked with the song choice.

Jax - Bang Bang (My Baby Shot Me Down) by Nancy Sinatra
Perfect beginning. Great power and attitude.

Tyanna Jones - Lips Are Movin by Meghan Trainor
Popular song. Needs to be in a higher key for sure. Decent job, but would have been even better in a higher key.


My choices for the Top 16.
Guys:
1) Nick
2) Clark
3) Savion
4) Mark
5) Daniel
6) Quentin
7) Trevor
8) Riley (or Qaasim or Rayvon)

Girls:
1) Jax
2) Joey
3) Tyanna
4) Sarina-Joi
5) Loren
6) Maddie
7) Katherine
8) Lovey (or Alexis)

I still believe the guys are much stronger than the girls this season. The only girl I see with a chance of winning is Jax. Several guys have a shot at winning the whole thing, including Nick and Clark.










No comments: